Two Is Better than One: Combine Exercise and Diet to Promote Weight Loss
Are you thinking about or actively trying to lose weight? If so, you are probably establishing a new workout routine or changing up your eating habits. However, enlisting one of these two strategies won’t be enough; instead, you must combine them to promote weight loss effectively.
Why Diet AND Exercise Are Important
Combining diet and exercise is more effective for achieving optimal weight loss than working with either one or the other. The best weight loss exercises work as intended when an individual supplies their body with nutrient-rich foods for fuel.
Making positive changes to daily diet and exercise routines is crucial for the best, most sustainable weight loss results.
Try the following diet and exercise tips to set yourself up for success.
- Reduce Carb and Sugar Intake: Refined carbs and sugars are poor providers of energy and nutrition, plus these foods are usually high in calories. Avoid eating too many of these food items.
- Avoid Processed Food: Processed foods are rarely the healthiest option, so if you’re trying to lose weight, the best diet plan replaces processed food with items prepared at home.
- Stay Hydrated: Any weight loss diet plan should focus heavily on hydration. It’s essential to drink enough water to facilitate optimal body functions. In addition to water, you could add unsweetened teas to your diet.
- Add Fiber and Protein: The best diet for weight loss is one that ensures well-rounded nutrition. Try to eat more foods that are rich in protein and dietary fiber.
Adopting an Exercise Routine
- Get Adequate Sleep: Getting enough sleep supplies the body with the energy it needs to exercise. Healthy sleep patterns have also been shown to reduce cortisol (stress hormone) levels which may aid weight loss.
- Start Light/Moderate: If you’re new to exercise or haven’t maintained a routine for a significant length of time, start your training with light to moderate activity. Move up to more vigorous workouts when you feel ready.
- Enjoy Your Exercise: Rather than trying to get into a routine you dread every day, try enjoyable exercises—for example, dance-related activities or taking your four-legged friend for a walk. After all, the best exercises for weight loss are the exercises you’re willing to do regularly.
- Join a Group: For some, losing weight is easier in a group setting, where several people are working together toward a common goal. Try joining a weight loss group for support.
- Warm-Up/Cooldown: Remember to warm up before you start exercising and cool down at the end of your workout. This way, you’re less likely to strain yourself or develop muscle cramps later.
If you want to lose weight and keep it off, your weight loss diet plan should accompany a moderate exercise routine. Both elements work in tandem to make weight loss more successful, not to mention improving an individual’s overall health and quality of life.